3rd Quarter Kindergarten Learning Goals
End of Grading Period: March 15
In Language Arts your child should be able to:
- Name all 26 capital letters & all 26 lowercase letters (out of order).
- Make all 26 common letter sounds (short vowels, hard c like cat, hard g like gate).
- Quickly recognize all 68 kindergarten sight words.
- Identify the beginning, middle, and ending sounds in consonant-vowel-consonant words.
- Identify the number of syllables in words.
- Blend syllables together to make a word (par-ty, party).
- Break apart words into syllables (birthday, birth-day).
- Blend the beginning sound (onset) with the end of the word (rhyme) into a single word (c-at, cat).
- Add a sound to make a new word (add /n/ to ear to make near).
- Read & comprehend books with a simple, predictable text pattern with a change at the end like the sight word books in your child’s Reading Bag.
- Tell what an author does and what an illustrator does.
- Tell 2 or more key details from a text.
- Sequence a set of pictures.
- Correctly spell and form the letters of their first and last names using a capital for the first letter and the rest lowercase.
- Correctly print all 26 uppercase and all 26 lowercase letters.
- Write 2 sentences that stay on topic.
- Capitalize the first word in a sentence and the word I.
- Correctly identify a period, question mark, and exclamation point.
- Listen and follow directions and clearly communicate by speaking in complete sentences.
- Count by ones and tens to 100 or more.
- Identify the numerals 0-20 (out of order).
- Correctly print the numerals 0-20 (in order).
- Correctly count sets of objects up to 20 (out of order).
- Correctly use heavier, lighter, taller, shorter, longer to describe objects.
- Draw using tens and ones (13--one ten and 3 ones,
- Correctly name 3 dimensional shapes--cube, cone, cylinder, sphere